Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Another charity quilt finish...

So, I was going to enter this quilt in the QuiltCon Modern Quilt show, and though I finished it in time, I didn't finish it early enough to get a nice photo of it.  It's amazing what a bad photographer I am...I really need to read the book my dear friend Anne gave me so that I can learn how to take awesome blog photographs!  And I need to set up a clothesline outside in my backyard, so I can have better light.  Anyhow, I ended up not entering the contest, as I decided I really wanted to enter quilts that I was super proud of, and I didn't want to spend $60 on entry fees with photos that wouldn't do these justice.  While I really like this one and the purple one I just finished a lot, and I like that they are my own designs (though the quilting was inspired by Angela Walters' book and they are based on traditional concepts), they really are just vehicles to practice free motion quilting.  The one I really love, that I finished over Thanksgiving and have no pictures of yet, since I literally sewed the last seam as I was supposed to be heading to the airport, well...that's the one I wish I could have entered.  Alas, it is a duvet cover, so two quilts in one and no binding.  My mom has promised to take photos, so I'll share it soon...it really is awesome, and I managed to finish it in less than a year...wow!

But back to this little quilt, here it is:



I'm really happy with how much my free motion quilting has improved. I used a variety of designs, including some stencils to stitch butterflies in the center and corners.  I'm still not perfect, but I've been noticing lately that very few quilters are perfect if they don't have a stitch regulator, so I'll give myself a break!  I'd like to practice on a few more of the charity quilts that are in progress (and I'm really looking forward to being done with them so I can start on new projects for family members, including my patient husband, and even a couple for me!).  I'm also just about ready to quilt my Chasing Chevrons quilt.  My nephew (10) is going to be the proud recipient, and now that I've shown the top to him over Thanksgiving and gotten him excited, I need to actually finish it so he can use it!  Little by little, I'm getting those projects checked off my list.  By 2018, I should be done!  ;)

5 comments:

  1. Elle, great job on the pink. I have a feeling you underestimate your talents. The best of us always have doubts and internal voices telling us we can do better no matter how perfect the rest of the world thinks our creations are.
    I hope you will be bringing this along to show at the next DC Mod. Quilters meeting? I for one really want to see it up close. BRAVO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy your ability to put colors together! This is both refreshing and relaxing at the same time. I love it! Very intrigued to see the one you "really" like ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Your Free Motion Quilting is *gorgeous* And I hear you on not being able to take good photos. It's hard to get the right lighting and space! -RLQ (here via Flaunt Your Finish Friday)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need more sleep or something, because at first I thought you were giving this quilt to your nephew, and I was thinking: "Wow- that's awfully pink for a 10 year old boy. I thought she was giving it to charity." Ya. I had to read it a second time to realize you were talking about a different quilt for him. Tee hee. Meanwhile, your FMQ looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love hearing what you think (indeed, it makes me want to blog more!), so please feel free to leave a comment. If you ask a question or want a reply, please be sure that you have enabled me to send you a message in your settings (i.e. that you are not a "no-reply" blogger - see http://kisskissquilt.blogspot.com/2011/06/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html).